We had breakfast for dinner today and on the menu was baked maple cinnamon donuts. OMG they were SO good, Dh was begging me to make more! This recipe is super simple and very toddler friendly, Adam was able to help make (and eat) the donuts and he loved it. I didn’t have a doughnut pan so I made-do with what I had, a regular muffin pan and mini muffin pan. They turned out more donut hole-ish in the mini muffin pan, so next time I’ll just use that
Gather your ingredients: flour, vanilla yogurt, maple syrup, an egg, butter, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder and soda, lemon juice, canola oil, and salt.
Whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl. Then mix the egg, yogurt, maple syrup, oil, and lemon juice in a smaller bowl. Make a hole in the dry mixture and pour the wet mixture into it. Fold everything together until combined.
Scoop the batter into a greased muffin pan (I used cooking spray with flour in it) and bake at 400* for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let cool for a few minutes then flip the donuts onto a cooling rack.
Get your melted butter and cinnamon sugar mix together for an assembly line. Dip a doughnut into the melted butter, then the cinnamon sugar, then place it back on the rack. And repeat.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 6 oz container of vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2½ tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the cinnamon and sugar together and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. In another bowl stir together oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, egg and yogurt.
- Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the hole. Gently fold everything together until combined. Divide batter evenly into a greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for a few moments and then flip over onto a cooling rack while still warm.
- Use a pastry brush to butter your donuts (or just dip ‘em!) and then dip each donut in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
also check out….