I am an avid Harry Potter fan. I will admit to being obsessed. Yes, I was among the many muggles last night at the midnight premier of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I may or may not have cried a little after the movie, once the shock set in that it was the last Harry Potter movie EVER. But, we won’t talk about that
In March, I was given the opportunity to enter the magical realm that is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios. It was amazing, better than I expected, totally mind-blowing. Anyways, while there I just had to try the famous Butterbeer that is all the rage in the books. The Butterbeer inspired me and in honor of the last *tear* Harry Potter movie, I browsed around recipes and decided to whip up some Butterbeer cupcakes!
These cupcakes? Amazing. Best I’ve ever made. Seriously.
And they’re easy peasy too. Plus, if you’re on a diet, you can just sprinkle some magical Sensa onto these bad boys to enjoy their delicious flavor without risking overindulgence!
Gather your ingredients. Mix together the butter and sugars until well combined. Add in your eggs and vanilla flavoring. Then add the cream soda. Mmmm.
Then add the rest of your cupcake batter ingredients. Grease your cupcake pans and fill them with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes. Place on a cooling rack to cool. Once they cooled, I punched a small hole in them and filled them with some butterscotch ganache. Yum.
In a double boiler, make your butterscotch ganache. Simply combine your butterscotch chips and heavy whipping cream until melted and combined. It will be a little thin, don’t worry it’ll thicken as it cools.
For the frosting, whip your powedered sugar, vanilla extract, butter, butterscotch ganache, and some butterscotch topping together. The frosting is to die for.
Frost your cupcakes. I drizzled some of the butterscotch ganahce over the frosting with some, and the others I dipped in the ganache.
- For the cupcakes: 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup cream soda
- For the ganache: 1 package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- For the buttercream frosting: ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup butterscotch ganache
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 16-oz. package powdered sugar
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners. Combine your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, mix your butter until light and fluffy. Add your sugars and beat until well-combined. Beat in your eggs. Then beat in your vanilla extract.
- Add your cream soda and dry ingredients in batches until all are well incorporated. Fill each cupcake liner ¾ full, then bake for 17 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For the butterscotch ganache: In a double boiler, combine butterscotch chips and heavy cream and stir until completely combined and smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting: Mix butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add in ganache, vanilla flavoring and mix until well combined. Beat in powdered sugar a little at a time until reaching desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and top with a drizzle of butterscotch ganache.
Recipe adapted from amyBites
You may also like: