Sophia – 1 week old!

Baby girl is now a week old. Wow, what a week it has been. Definitely one of the longest and hardest weeks of my life. I keep waiting for it to get a little easier to leave my baby each day, but it hasn’t, and it still breaks my heart every single time. I know she’s where she needs to be right now, but it doesn’t make it any easier. Leaving my baby SUCKS.

Good news? Sophia is making some great progress!! The IV came out a few days ago and they took her off of the oxygen and she’s been doing well since. She had a few apnea and bradycardia episodes but they started her on caffeine to jump start her respiratory system and it seems to be working. She had a bit of trouble keeping her temperature up so she was placed in a warming bed for two days and has since weaned from that and has been doing great!

She now weighs 5 pounds 12 ounces and is nursing like a champ!

Still no official word on when Sophia will be coming home. The plan is ***hopefully*** sometime this week. Things can change quickly in the NICU, as I’ve learned this past week, so it’s really a day by day game right now.

She needs to continue to eat at her max feeding level (50 mL) for every feed and then the NG tube can come out and she’ll be one step closer to coming home.

I’m pretty sure once my baby girl is home, I’ll never let her go! I simply cannot wait to have my family complete and together. Her brothers miss her so much and we all just want our baby home.

Thank you SO MUCH for all the thoughts and prayers. It is so appreciated!!

Comments

1. Oh, how I remember the NICU. :/

I’m glad she’s off oxygen. Best feeling, isn’t it? Our son had TTN and was required to have it for 2 days and was off after that. He’s now 4 months and doing amazing. Congrats again.

2. Melissa/butterflysnbees says:

Lots of love, hon. Sophia is gorgeous {love her name} – I hope she’s home soon!

3. Rachel N says:

I can only imagine how hard it would be to leave your baby. So glad she is doing well and will be coming home soon!

4. Chelsey says:

She’s such a gorgeous baby! I can’t imagine how hard it is to have to leave her, but she’s obviously very loved and well taken care of, and will be home soon. Take lots of pictures. Can’t wait to see that pretty little thing with both of her brothers :D

5. Nicole U says:

I am so happy to hear that she is making progress :) I wish you and your family all the best!

6. courtney b says:

aww look at all that hair! what a cutie!

7. Jessica W says:

I have been following some of your updates on facebook. I am glad to hear that she is doing so well! She sure is adorable, and I can’t get past all that hair!

8. All the best wishes to you and your family!!!

9. adorable!!

10. Jennifer h says:

Hang in there girl! Wishing you good news very soon!

11. Jenna Chandler says:

praying she comes home soon :)

12. Good to hear she continues to make progress. Stay strong you are both looking very well.

13. What a sweet little girl — and she so looks like you!

14. Beautiful and I know the NICU story well, my baby was in there for 2 weeks. I love the pic where she is holding on to your husbands, I presume, thumb. It shows just how teeny she is. You are looking too girl. Congrats again

15. Deb Dorrington says:

So happy to read Sophia is doing well, she is a little sweetie..best wishes to you and your family.

16. Wendy O. says:

She’s so precious! I hope Sophia continues to improve and that she’s released from the NICU and home very soon. Sending lots of prayers and good vibes your way!

17. Hope you get to come home very soon! I know it’s tough to wait!

18. Stay strong mama, she’ll be coming home VERY soon. She’s so super cute, looks a lot like you and try to focus on all of the ways you can play with all that pretty hair.

19. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. It’s got to be so hard to leave her but hopefully she is home in your arms soon!

20. Sonya Morris says:

She is just so beautiful! I know you will be glad to have her home! Sending lots of well wishes!!

21. Dawn H. says:

She’s so precious! Hope she improves in leaps and bounds and is home before you know it!

22. Sophia is beautiful! I can relate to having to leave your baby in the hospital. It’s so hard. When my baby girl was 3 weeks old, we both got very sick and had to go to separate hospitals for some time. Praying for you and your baby girl. I hope she gets to come home very soon!

23. love the yawning pic!

24. Katie J says:

So good to hear your beautiful little girl is off the oxygen. Fingers crossed for a speedy homecoming!

25. Glad to hear little miss is off the oxygen. Prayers for a homecoming this week.

26. I am so glad to have met you and your family. It has been such a pleasure taking care of sweet Sophia. You are great parents and she will do well. Praying for you always…. Thanks for the sweets!

27. Vanessa Coker says:

I can’t even begin to imagine how hard this is for you guys. We’re rooting for beautiful Sophia to be well enough to go home soon. She’s gorgeous and I adore all that hair she has.

28. She is absolutely beautiful and I really hope she gets to come home soon!

29. Saw that she got to come home. Congrats!!!!!! That is fantastic news

30. Just saw on Twitter that Sophia is home! Congratulations!

31. She is beautiful. Congratulations Mama B. Sending blessings and the warmest of wishes to you and the family. Hope she comes home very very soon, strong and healthy!!

32. Jessica Morgan says:

My Little girl was in the NICU for 14 days. It really Sucks. After she came home I dont think I let anyone else hold her for months.lol Now she is 2 1/2 and doing great. Hope yours comes home soon.

33. Alexis cooper says:

This brought tears to my eyes. I know too well how hard it is to leave a nicu baby. Congrats, she’s beautiful!

34. Shannon A. says:

How beautiful, Hope she is doing well!

35. Kati Kleinman says:

It is SUPER had to leave little ones at the nicu. I am so glad you finally gotto bring her home!